Monday, April 28, 2008

Lamby dies and Nona is lost

Nona was always laying on the other side of the fence next to the lamb like she was the mommy. they baa baa'd to each other and everything. Nona the goat NEVER went out of the lamb's view when she wandered off. It was the "If I can't see you, you can't see me" thing. Like we do with our own kids when they are little. Well last week Nona jumped the fence into them baby pen and started head butting the lamb. We don't know how long it went on. When Phillip saw it he streaked out the door and got Nona out. We moved Lambchop to another area by the house. She was dead the next morning. Neadless to say we have had to bury her :( No wooly goodness from our first sheep. I truly do not think the goat was being mean. I think she was doing her motherly goatness. I see them head butting all the time down the road. It's a terrible lesson to learn, but next time the babies will be far away from the adults I guess. Neighbor says by the looks of our goat she recently had babies herself and probably adopted the lamb as her own. Over all I think Derek and Nona took it the hardest. For 3 days Nona cried for Lambchop and wouldn't leave her area. Now she wanders around and seems happy. At least I hope she is. She stops by every evening now to visit at chicken feeding time for a snack, and let's the dog bark at her like a maniac.

No comments: