Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Did It Really Freeze? & a Contest!





I can't tell.

Can you?


On a side note the remember the 6 baby black chicks that hatched May 27th? Here they are.....


How many big shiny black roosters did you see?.....

This is the Contest! My Rooster Conundrum :)

Every once in a while I hear the strangled cries of a young one learning how to crow. But which one? I think .... thought there were only 3. But now I am not so sure. What do you think? And how does one tell? Their mom is a Black Australorp. The sire was a Rhode Island Red. If they were RIR's it would be easy for me to tell ;)

Just leave a comment and my youngest will pull a name randomly on Thanksgiving Day for the winner. November 27, 2008.

The Prize is a set of 6 revised McGuffey's Eclectic Readers & Primer. All it needs to be a complete set is #5. Here is a picture of the actual barely used books.

10 comments:

Linda said...

I never raised chickens so not sure. Looking a little closer I would say you have at least 4 possibly up to six. But like I said...

We raised cattle and believe me, you know when you have a bull. ;)

mompotter

wenat said...

Hi Janette! I'm in for this contest -- woo hoo!

And I can't believe that your wee chicks grew up into those big chickens. Wow.

Unknown said...

I would love to have this set.

I have a friend that keeps telling us to raise chickens but we just don't have it in us.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmmmmm I don't know! We thought the chicken we raised was going to be a rooster, but it turned out to be a hen...
I'll just guess 4. :-)
~Jenn
www.OurLosBanos.com/homeschool

Kathy said...

Does this help?
http://www.cacklehatchery.com/baustralorppage.html

You may have found that already. :)

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Love the chickens! Hope to have my own someday, but just can't yet. Love the opportunity to win the readers. Thanks!

BTW I'm knitting away with the yarn I bought from you. I'll have to send photos when I am done with my project =)

Anonymous said...

What pretty chickens! I've never raised any, so I can't say. :)

I would love the reader set.

Thanks!
AmyLou

caudles42@yahoo.com

Heather said...

Thanks for the contest. I have to actually say this little city girls has an bizzare fear of chickens:)

Anonymous said...

I'd like to enter the contest. When I was young my brother brought home a chick from school. We raised it in our living room in a gargantuan box, until finally he was so big that Herbie had to go to a local farm...that's when we found out Herbie was actually Herbietta. So with that being my only chicken experience, I'm not going to be much help with your conundrum. But I'll guess 5 just for fun!

Anonymous said...

It looks like 3 to me! Wow they get big fast! I will not be raising baby chicks...lol! do you get lots of eggs? Maybe it would be worth it..he he!

Rebecca Kayben@msn.com